Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What's a Plain Bird to Do?

He was born in Springfield, M....assachusetts on March 2, 1904.  His Cat wears a hat and his Horton hears a Who and his Mr. Brown can mooo.  Can you?  Today we celebrated the birthday of Dr. Seuss, one of the most talented and widely known children's authors & illustrators EVER!! 

As a HUGE fan of children's books, I too am an admirer of the many, many picture books Theodore Geisel published in his lifetime.  I've admired them for... a few years now... I might even still have the mangled, torn, oil-stained Dr. Seuss books from my kidhood.  

Aw... I'm such an artist.

My 5 most memorable Dr. Seuss stories are:

  1. One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
  2. Cat in the Hat
  3. There's a Wocket in my Pocket
  4. Hop on Pop
  5. ABC
There's a Wocket in my Pocket is a memorable story to me because it has a page that frightened me...
I don't like him.  Not at all.
I will forever live in fear of the Quimney up the chimney and the Zall down the hall. 

As for the Cat in the Hat.. I really liked the story, and even believed the little girl and boy were me and Keith... 
SEE!
...but the Cat and his Things REALLY bothered me.  They just made mess after mess after mess... and they never listened... grrrrrr!  It still frustrates me.  THAT POOR FISH!!!  

Although!  I do love the Thing 1.. I'm With Thing 1.. Thing 2, 3, and 4 shirts my parent's got me, Justin, Keith, Riley, and Patrick.  I'll have to take a picture sometime.  Keith kinda ruined that by being all the way in Alaska right now.. sheesh :-D

Unfortunately, there are a lot of Dr. Seuss books that I have not read.  In fact, I just recently read Fox in Sox for the first time.  Don't know what rock I was living under...   and my first introduction to Horton Hears a Who was actually in high school when I went to see Mark Halle play  General Genghis Khan Schmitz in Seussical the Musical!  This was the day I decided that Marisa Adams (Compton) was my hero.  YOU.  WERE. AMAZING, Mayzie.  And the entire show WAS MAGNIFICENT.  After seeing it, I memorized all of the songs and...

NOT-SO-SERIOUS CONFESSIONS:
...I used to act it out on my front porch with my CD player.  People driving by often gave me funny looks.  And I'm sure my neighbors were scared.  

OH!!!  And the part in the MOVIE Horton Hears a Who where Horton goes all anime on those Wickershams.. made my mom, Keith, and me about wet ourselves in the theater.

I will make monkeys of these monkeys.


We got a little festive about Dr. Seuss at the Willard Library today: 
Banner of Fanciful Creatures

Nice signage, Brandon ;)


"Why do you sit there like that?"


Good times.  And guess who gets to clean it all up at 7 tomorrow morning... hee heeeeeeeee.  Me.  

I will now transition from Dr. Seuss day to another critical library matter... but it will be related to Dr. Seuss because of the hats:
Meh.

Mmm-ow.
MIKE CARROLL.  Hey, Cuz.  NOW you can see it.  HAHAHA.  Tomorrow is our last day working together... 30 whole minutes.  Waaaaah!   I can't even believe it!!  One sec.

*cries like Pam the Blam did when she found out we were making fun of her*

PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER Pammy.  Jeez.  Anywayz, as I was saying... I am so happy for you!  This is a perfect opportunity for you, and I know you will ROCK IT!
I'm super cereal!!!
I am gonna miss working with ya though.
I'll never forget the flying squirrel sneak attacks that went down in the old building (that was NUTS) 
RrrrAr!
and the NAME CALLING (Mike-rophone...Step-on-me... Christmas Carroll... Steph Acne), and drawing the coolest ever design-a-bookmarks that we couldn't even submit but that would totally win if we could.
Books are a BLAST
  All right, you'll be a facebook message/gmail chat away.  So, I'm not gonna fall apart.  Good luck at your big boy job ;0)  And, uh, you WILL be receiving a beverage tomorrow, and don't even TRY to throw it back in my face :-D


QOTD

and

haha, very funny.


SOTD
Sometimes I get excited and can't just pick one song.

  • Our first song of the day is a song that I heard today on 99.9 (The Music of Your Life).  I had just stopped to fuel up my car and there was my BEAUTIFUL Grandma Flynn!  Streaming from her car was the most lovely music, so's I asked what she was listening to. 
 "99.9," she told me, "ALWAYS!  These are the songs I grew up listening to."  So.. when I left Casey's, I tuned in to 99.9 and this is what I heard:

You've Got Possibilities-Matt Monro  

  • And the second song of the day is one of my favorites from Seussical The Musical: AMAZING MAYZIE!  But I can't find a good recording of it :(  Sorry.

Some more awesome shoes that I really could use:

They look a little small tho.


No comments:

Post a Comment