Thursday, March 24, 2011

Hair done, hair done.

Our music video parody of Rebecca Black's abomination to music lovers everywhere is COMPLETE :D 

It took two partial days (that my mom teased, "Could've have been used to find a job... or weed my garden..."), a late night, and a lot of stylish, 'tangled' hair :D
Partial Day 1 was used to record the song... because yes, I AM lip-syncing in the video.  Shocking!  

I used an iPhone app called "I Am T-Pain" to get that nice auto-tuned sound :0)  


I heard about the app while watching episode after episode of Auto-Tune the News... and it's the baddest flippen free auto-tune app I've eva seen.  Although, I haven't done an extensive search for such a thing.

Some features that I find helpful/entertaining: the mic records up to 5 minutes (which is more than most free services allow... and is at least enough time to get a normal length song recorded), changing the key to match the song you are singing is extremely simple, you can turn off the auto-tune capability if you'd rather record your voice straight up, you can share your songs quickly with friends, and you can listen to songs streaming live from around the world... like the one I am listening to now called Test Run Part 1(oh this should be good):

*piano trumpet synth beat... killer drums*

You know what it is 
Homie, yeah
I'm on dis side you on dat side
something that I wasn't a fast enough type to share
????????
I am not gangsta
I don't try to be
My skin color don't define my songs and trick
And I will always trust 100 dollar bills
I'ma end this
But this is not the end
We see 
Who be laughin'
In the f****** end.

Okay... so, maybe the live streaming is not the best quality music (right up there with Friday!), but you can see how it could be entertaining.  And the app does tend to bring out the unnecessary cuss words in people. ;)

The annoying thing about this app: besides the unfortunate, aspiring rap stars and their clamorous manner of singing... is that, although you can share your creations immediately, you cannot easily download your music to edit and/or use inside a bigger project.  In order to download the clip you have to have QuickTime 7 Pro.  WAH WAAAH. 

So how did I get my auto-tuned self into audacity (free audio editor & recorder)?  Cleverness.  ...and another app that I absolutely LOVE called RecordStudio.


I eventually purchased the PRO version.. but there is a free trial out der too.  This app is seriously amazing, and a must have if you've got ideas for songs but no money for recording equipment!!  The quality of the recording you get is unbelievably clean.  

GET THIS... I played my auto-tuned sound clip (only playable online) through the speakers on my laptop and recorded it with RecordStudio.  It amazes me every time how clear the tracks turn out.  There is essentially NO sound pollution!  

And unlike the T-Pain in the butt app... you can download 4 tracks at a time AND retrieve them completely by typing a given web address into your browser and clicking on the tracks you would like to download. 

Anyway, so that's a bit of the recording process for ya, and then...

Partial Day 2 was dedicated to filming.  We didn't start until around 5pm--because the Flynn's, Chelsey, Justin, and I spent the day break-dancing, finding matching Easter dresses (just Chelsey and me... Justin and Riley couldn't agree on a dress they both liked), and posing as mannequins in the mall-- so we were losing daylight fast.  

We started with the trip to McDonald's.  We made things a bit awkward at McD's when we asked the lady taking our order if she would say "It's going to be a 3 minute wait on those nuggets?"  after we finished ordering (FRESH NUGGETS, FRESH NUGGETS.. YEAH!).  We thought she was gonna be cool about it as we pulled around to pay and she laughed, "Do I even wanna know?" 

We all giggled too and I replied, "Well we are making a spoof of a song called Friday.. have you heard of it?"

And then she closed the window in our face and avoided any further eye contact.

Maybe Rebecca Black is her sister?

Then we filmed the bus stop scene.  It was windy.  And trying to play the song (for timing) on one phone while pretending to be called on another by a third phone while remembering to move my lips was hard to coordinate... but we got it in a few takes.  I started hiding the 'music phone' in a handy little pouch formed by my boobs and the upper region of my dress.  LOVIN' OUR EASTER DRESSES!    

Also challenging: trying to take your hair down and wave it around while riding a scooter, filming in the same room as a sleeping baby, getting curlers to stay in your hair when you are in a hurry, moving rapidly in small spaces without injuring yourself, and reading Green Eggs and Ham.  

And let me just mention that Riley was our amazing cameraman through the entire video!!  Nice work, Riles!    

That brings us to the final step... AND MY FAVORITE STEP OF ALL:

(LATE NIGHT) EDITING.  I love putting all the pieces back together and lining things up!  Of course, once I start editing... there is usually no stopping me until it is done.  I'd say it was 4am before I went to bed.  hehe

The end.

As for today... here are the highlights (because JJ is waiting on me to watch Gladiator):
  1. A gasoline smell from the ladies room that filled the library during the morning hours.
  2. Cigarette fumes from the little boys' room that filled the library during the afternoon hours.
  3. Soup Lunch with JJ!
  4. I made one of our grumpiest patrons smile... and then his grumpy wife accused me of "Making him all happy and smiley... he's never that way with me."  Ummm... AWKWARD.
  5. My dad got a PA system(for his company)!!  Ciara and I tested it out :D 
  6. And finally... odd, border-line creepy, flirtatious WwF opponents that I DON'T KNOW.


1 comment: